Tig Welding Cast Iron

In this video: Dana and Jeff get a small cast iron repair job in the shop, since we opted to Tig weld it we figured we would share it as a video here on yout…

19 Responses to “Tig Welding Cast Iron”

1. Jeffrey Santo says:

I used DC reversed polarity, I had a piece of an old cast iron top from a gas grill that died a few seasons ago. I used that to practice on before the video, I had not done cast tig welding since 2010 when I was in school and wanted to get the feel for it again.

2. yumy1010 says:

Did u use AC or DC? strait polarity or revers? Tnx great video

3. Jeffrey Santo says:

It works very well on thin Cast Iron, I’ve actually had a few people send me privet messages saying this video was a fake :)

4. TheGreatSparky says:

Wow, I didn’t even realize that this could be done. I’m impressed.

5. Jeffrey Santo says:

I only learned about being able to tig cast iron 2 years ago, welding may have been around for over 100 years but there are so many new advances every year that your information can go out of date very fast. Thank you for the comment, I am glad you liked the video… Welcome to the channel

6. Philip Ko says:

Brilliant Video!! So informative.

7. Philip Ko says:

My instructor told me that it is impossible to use tig welding for cast iron repair. I’ll definitely show him this video clip.

8. Serina JK says:

It could be a vlog meet, retreat, and good times :-)

9. Serina JK says:

I was actually thinking about that when I was watching the video – especially at the part when you had the fire going in the oven. I was thinking, let me go over there and do a foil cooking recipe. Seriously though, you’re not that far from me and I’m sure a Greyhound or Amtrak will take me right to you. I need to get some money together. We could make a weekend out of it. I do want to come on over and visit.

10. Jeffrey Santo says:

Thanks, we still need to get together at some point… have only been talking about it for how many years now? LOL

11. Jeffrey Santo says:

Thank you so much for the comment, I was very lucky to have a great teacher when I went to school. He showed me a lot when it came to cast iron even though it was not apart of the program.

Dana is another reason I could get this job done, she is very patient with me. If not for her doing all the torch work I would have doubts about the integrity of the weld. Together we make a good team.

Thanks again for the comment and for taking an interest in our channel :)

12. Serina JK says:

Rock on guys! You’re both awesome <3 If I had that fire going, I’d be foil cooking dinner lol

13. Serina JK says:

that looks beyond damaged in your screen cap. I love watching your videos, it’s like a normal version of Mr. Rogers lol

14. kurnous34 says:

I was very skeptical when I clicked on this link. Probably 75% of the people who show tig welding on youtube do not do it properly. I was very happy to see someone who is a skilled welder and educated metallurgist. I’ve never seen anyone weld cast iron before either, well done and hope the buisness is doing well :)

15. pjakkur007 says:

p.s
    i whach all your uploads ;)

16. Jeffrey Santo says:

The rod we used was a Techalloy 55, which is a 55.9% nickel content. According to the manufacturer the breakdown is as follows:

Nickel 55.9%
    Iron 43.6%
    Manganese 0.25%
    Carbon  0.05%
    Silicon 0.15%

Hope that helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask… Thanks for watching :)

17. Jeffrey Santo says:

During the preheat I try and get the temperature to approximately 400 – 450 degrees Fahrenheit or about 200 – 230 Celsius. After the weld using the propane torch we try to keep it close to 900 degrees Fahrenheit (480C). We slowly lower the temp back to 400F by lowering the intensity of the torch. After that we just let it come to room temperature on our stove over several hours.

18. buckcreekman1 says:

Good video!!!!!.

19. pjakkur007 says:

i have a question you might be able to ansver!
    how hot do you get the the metal in the preheat and dont you have to anneal it afterwards?
    what is the exect contens of the nickel rod you use?